Congress evaluates protection of GI’s & AO’s
The Paraguayan Congress is evaluating the possibility of enacting a Law to protect these types of signs and they are already working on a Bill of Law for this purpose.
Until now, no GI or AO has been established or registered in said country.
According to the current regulations in Paraguayan TM Law, GI’s and AO’s are not TMs and pursuant to the legal text therein, same would be irregistrable.
- includes the possibility of lodging oppositions against the filing of a new GI or AO
- establishes that registrations thereto can be renewed every 10 years
- authorizes the registrant to use GIs or AOs for the products covered by the registration
- allows the registrant to guarantee that the quality of GI and/or AO complies with the averages stated in the registration.
In order to be considered and registered as such:
- GI’s must comply with the qualities and characteristics resulting from the geographical environment where they are produced whether natural and/or human factors are involved.
- AO’s must comply with the qualities, reputation and characteristics resulting from its geographic origin.