First Latin American country to join OHIM search tool Designview
In December 2014 the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI), together with the Korean, Moroccan, Norwegian and Russian PTOs, made their design data available to Designview, a search tool developed by the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market of the European Union (OHIM).
Designview is a free of charge online consultation tool allowing any Internet user to search the designs of all participating offices, including OHIM and National Offices. It gives access to design applications and registrations provided by the participating offices though a single platform. Each office owns the content it makes available and is responsible for its daily update.
Designview can be used to:
• Check the existing designs across Europe and in non-European countries that are part of the project;
• Check market tendencies;
• Obtain easy access to post-registration services in a harmonized way.
• Check the novelty of a design;
• Provide info for legal administrative and legal processes, for example to help customs in case of conflict between parties;
• Assist PTOs, for example to carry out in-depth examination or to help examiners to check earlier priority rights.
The five PTOs mentioned above are the first non-EU to join Designview, which already provides data from 17 European National Offices and OHIM. With the inclusion of about 850,000 Korean, 50,000 Moroccan, 27,000 Mexican, 25,000 Norwegian and 55,000 Russian designs, Designview currently offers access to more than 3.5 M designs.