New domain “.pharmacy”
A new generic top-level web domain was launched by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP). The intention of this release is to be able to identify web sites that sell online prescriptions drugs in a legal and reliable way.
The register for this new web domain (.pharmacy) will be the first step in this process and is expected to begin in November 2014. For the moment, only companies that have already filed trademarks in the International Center for the defense of trademarks of ICANN can request a register in .pharmacy.
NABP applied for .pharmacy as a community-based gTLD representing legitimate online pharmacies and prescription drug-related organizations worldwide. This global pharmacy community includes, but is not limited to:
- Independent community pharmacies
- Chain pharmacies and any retailers offering pharmacy services
- Internet pharmacies
- Veterinary pharmacies
- Schools and colleges of pharmacy and continuing professional education providers
- Wholesale drug distributors
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Durable medical equipment, prosthetics, orthotics, and supply providers
- Medical professionals advertising services related to a prescription drug