New online patent system
Since July 2013, it’s possible to file online patents applications or petitions against applications or existing patents at the Brazilian PTO (INPI).
Last March 2013 INPI launched the e-patent system and, until now, users can only file domestic applications.
It is possible to:
- send petitions related to applications
- enter into the national phase of the PCT application
- file a recordal of assignment of change of name or address of a patent application or a granted patent
- submit a request for official copies
- request accelerated examination
- submit a statement regarding the access to Brazilian resources
- request participation in the green patent program
- request a preliminary opinion on patentability
Users can submit patent applications using e-patents and a few minutes after the electronic filling protocol is issued to indicate that the process was successful. Due to the fact that all documents have to be digitally signed; there is a high level of data encryption.
The costs for online fillings are not the same as for regular presentations. Usually paper filling is more expensive than the new system.
In addition, since 2012 one of IMPI’s main goals is to develop new tools to simplify procedures and to speed them up. One of this new tools is the e-vista; which provides paperless procedures for official requests, reducing costs and time. Another example is the SisBioList, were biologic sequence listings should be filed. This procedure improves examination and provides a better protection.