New support for entrepreneurs and innovators
The Colombian University of Valle (Universidad del Valle) has recently launched a Technology and Innovation Support Center (TISC) with the aim of assisting and advising entrepreneurs and innovators on intellectual property rights (IPRs).
The new TISC is part of a national network comprising universities, technological parks, research centers and chambers of commerce, led by the Colombian PTO (SIC) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
WIPO´s TISC Program started in April 2009 to provide innovators in developing countries with access to locally based, high-quality technology information and related services, helping them to develop their innovative potential and to create, protect, and manage IPRs.
The main services offered by TISCs include:
- Access to online patent and non-patent resources and IP-related publications;
- Assistance in searching and retrieving technology information;
- Training in database search;
- Access to on-demand searches (novelty, state-of-the-art and infringement);
- Monitoring of technology and competitors;
- Providing basic information on industrial property laws, management and strategy, and technology commercialization and marketing.