Renewals in one click
Local PTO INAPI recently announced its new service which is called “Renewals in one click”. The main goal is to optimize the process of renewal of registries in Chile.
According to INAPI, in 2013 the process of a trademark renewal took an average of 4 months; because there were 5 basic steps to fulfill:
1. filing the application;
4. payment of the correspondent fee;
5. granting of the renewal application
As with this new online renewal system, the 5 steps were reduced to 1.
One of the advantages of this new online program, is that there is the possibility of making proposals to the trademark owners; in this way, the process of renewal gets shorter ( 1 step and not 5 as required before), because there is no need to correct and update the trademark record they want to renew.
While the main characteristics of this new service are:
- Online log-in to INAPI´s web page, simply renew any TM by clicking the corresponding option and online payment. The user will receive an email confirming the new register number.
- It is also possible to renew a TM with an anticipation of 4 months until 30 days after expiration date.
- The user will receive online free assistance from the trademarks examiners, who will analyze the requested renewal before the deadline and if necessary will make the necessary adjustments in order to fulfill the legislative requirements.