Strategies in Biotechnology Applied to Health
Decision 17/11 issued by the Common Market Council, approved a project called “Research, Education and Biotechnologies applied to Health”. This project was elaborated by the Science and Technology Specialized Meeting of MERCOSUR (REC y T) and relates to the MERCOSURs Competitiveness Development Program.
This strategic plan offers a vision of the technological areas of interest that will be promoted within MERCOSUR in the following years, always related to medicine and health.
Concerning the pharmaceutical industry, the a.m. project addresses the following points:
- Metabolic diseases (Priority has been assigned to diabetes, etc.);
- Neurological diseases (Priority has been assigned to dementia);
- Psychiatric diseases (Priority has been assigned to depression);
- Diseases of the immune system / Immunodeficiency and autoimmune disorders (Priority has been assigned to infectious diseases within the region, namely Parasitosis-Trypanosoma Cruzi and Leishmania);
- Genetic and oncologic diseases (Priority has been assigned to Duchenne muscular dystrophy and breast cancer).
The pertinent studies related with the a.m. therapeutic fields will be aimed at the development of:
- Diagnostic reagents;
- Identification of new banks for application in conventional and cell therapies.
The project promotes the creation of biotechnology companies (R&D incubators) that will be able to provide new technologies to the productive chains related to the health sector.
Within the context of the priority agenda in the field of biotechnology, MERCOSUR, specially Argentina and Brazil, appears to be a favorable scenario for biopharmaceutical investment.